We are aiming for Westbrook Primary School to be a place where:
- Children are creative learners who are inspired to think and investigate
- Children develop, and apply, skills and knowledge which equips them for life-long learning
- Children learn and apply skills/knowledge through first hand experiences
- Children are proud of their learning and aim to achieve their best
- Children believe in the value of teamwork, helping and caring for one another
- There are close links with the local community whereby parents are partners in the learning journey
- Staff, Governors and the whole community are ambitious and seek to provide only the very best education for our children
Learning within Art stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a special way of understanding and responding to the world. A high-quality Art education should inspire, engage and challenge children - enabling pupils to communicate what they see, feel and think through the use of colour, texture, form and pattern. Art provides them with opportunities to develop a range of ways in which they can share and express their individual creativity, whilst learning about and making links with a wide spectrum of different types of art in our society. Art contributes to children’s personal development in creativity, independence, judgement, and self-reflection. Moreover, it enables pupils to develop a natural sense of wonder and curiosity about the world around them and therefore links strongly to our school values.
Children will become involved in shaping their environment through Art activities, involving different creative techniques. They will explore ideas and meaning through the work of artists and designers. Additionally, as they learn about the history, roles and functions of art, they can explore the impact that it has on contemporary life and that of different times and cultures.
Design and Technology Intent
Design and Technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Design and Technology encourages children to learn to think and intervene creatively to solve problems both as individuals and as members of a team. We encourage children to use their creativity and imagination, to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. The children are also given opportunities to reflect upon and evaluate past and present design technology, its uses and its effectiveness and are encouraged to become innovators and risk-takers. We want to prepare them for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life.